Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 08:32:50 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Bernd Walter <ticso@mail.cicely.de>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, developers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dropping compiler support in -current

On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 12:52:20PM +0200, Bernd Walter wrote:
> I asumed that most recent problems are SMP specific.
> In fact my -current alphas are running great:
>
> ticso@cicely10> uname -a
> FreeBSD cicely10.cicely.de 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #1: Mon Apr  2 23:56:44 CEST 2001     ticso@cicely9.cicely.de:/var/d8/src-2001-03-28/src/sys/compile/CICELY10  alpha

> ticso@cicely9> uname -a
> FreeBSD cicely9.cicely.de 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #0: Fri Mar 30 18:42:31 CEST 2001     ticso@cicely9.cicely.de:/var/d8/src-2001-03-28/src/sys/compile/CICELY9  alpha

Feh.  March 30th and April 2nd.  That is no where NEAR -current.  Try
this:

    # cd /usr/src/sys
    # cvs -qR diff -u0 -D 4/2/2001 | wc -l
    740408

For *me*, things were OK Alpha wise until mid-May.  Then all hell broke
loose.

> What we really need are more knowledged alpha users of recent -current.

They need to be no more knowledgeable than the x86 crowd.  Update your
box bi-weekly and report problems.  Learn the most basic `gdb' (such as
"where") and ddb ("trace", "show locks") commands and post the info.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)