Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 1996 13:30:23 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: g++ 2.7.2 / libg++ 2.7.1 and ld

Hi,

> I've been down the dead end that apparently several others have in
> trying to get g++ 2.7.2 / libg++ 2.7.1  fully working on FreeBSD.
> I believe the final stumbling block is our linker.
> 4. (Now you need weak symbol support in linker?) Reach
> a dead end without work on ld.

This I don't understand.  As I stated previously, I (independantly) went down
this path, EXCEPT for #4.  I just use the standard linker, and code that
used to trip over the ".weak" point links and runs fine Summary:

g++ 2.7.2 from ports-current
as from binutils 2.6, placed into g++ 2.7.2's 'search first' lib directory
ld from 2.1.0-REL
libstdc++ from 2.7.1
libg++ from 2.1.0-REL

I have compiled several hello worlds, and a X11 app that talks thru pipes
to a program that bit fiddles a serial port, which works (as well as the
one with 2.1.0 g++, but thats another story).  Do you have a sample program
that fails for you that I might try to compile here?

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD