Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 11:53:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Robin Gruyters <robin@wish.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFW and forward

you cannot forwar dto an external port..
(it will allow it but it won't work..
remember that the packet is UNALTERED so when it gets to the machine,
unless thh far machine thinks it should have it, it will say
"huh? this isn't for me" and pass it back.

you need to either:
1/ have an extra loopback (lo1) allocated on that machine with that
address, or
2/ have ipfw running the same rule on that machine, to provide 'capture'.

If you want to actually alter the packet, I believe NATD may be you
friend.

julian