Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:17:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <joeo@cracktown.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: booting from dos

I've only tried it on this funky MediaGX equiped box with a dos partition
on a DiskOnChip and no other local storage.  Have no idea about using it
from windows or NT.

The freebsd second stage boot loader understands FAT?  Does it use BIOS
calls to interact with the boot media on the i386?  Not that I have a
particularly good or even passing familiarity of the boot process on x86.

The DOC is a weird thing (or maybe the bios on the board is...).  Under
dos it installs the hooks it needs to act like a drive, but linux and
everything else needs special drivers to talk to it like storage media...