Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 1997 00:59:06 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com>
To:        mef@cs.washington.edu
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quad Pro 150 motherboard?

mef@cs.washington.edu wrote:
>    Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 04:49:18 -0400 (EDT)
>    From: Ben Black <black@zen.cypher.net>
>    from
>    http://www.microsoft.com/syspro/technet/boes/bo/winntas/technote/nt101.htm
>    Windows NT Workstation supports up to two processors in a symmetric
>    multiprocessing environment.
>
> According to that document NT Workstation can only support two
> processors, but NT Server can support four processors.  I wouldn't be
> surprised if embedded in the code there was some sort of check:
> 	if (ms->makemoremoney->is_nt_server == TRUE) {
> 		/* support four processors */
> 	}
>
> :)

Yes, that's been fairly well established already.  There have been several
technical articles about how the NT4 Workstation kernel is identical to
the Server version.  The article that I'm thinking of described how a
certain registry entry controlled what mode the machine ran in.  NT3.5
allowed this to change, but NT4 has some process running to reset it back.
The article described how they patched something or other to stop the
watcher process/thread/whatever and change it, and reboot, and a NT4
Workstation becomes a server, and benchmarks just like a server, etc.

Hmm.. Lemmesee...

The tech details:
http://software.ora.com/news/ms_internet_andrews.html

The collection of information about other anti-competitive things M$ have
done with NT4:
http://software.ora.com/news/ms_internet_frame.html

BTW, There are apparently three values.. WinNT, ServerNT and ``LanmanNT''..
Hmm..  The last one, I wonder what that is?

Cheers,
-Peter