Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 1995 16:10:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.0.5R hanging inexplicably...

Hi...

	For the second time in two days, my system just hung, in that,
essentially, no keyboard input was being permitted.

	The first time, I'm sure it had to do with PCVT, in that it happened
the moment after I had modified /etc/ttys and turned off all the console
screens that I'm not using and issued a kill -1 1.  Even after reboot, it
hung almost immediately.  When I booted up into single user mode, and
turned those ports back on, it was all fine.

	Of significance to note in that case, everything ran fine in the
background, it was just a console lock.

	This second time, though, I don't know...it just locked up
completely.  Of note, it seems that when it locks up, one of the keyboard
lights comes on, either NumLock, CapsLock or ScrollLock...this last time,
prior to lockup, ScrollLock came on, and after turning it back off, it ran
for a little bit befor elockingup completely.

	That is the symptoms...now the question...are there any known
problems with PCVT under 2.0.5R that have been fixed in 2.1.0-*-SNAP?
If not...how do I debug something like this?  Since it hangs, and doesn't
fault itself, getting a core dump, so I'd think, is kind of difficult...

Marc G. Fournier | Knowledge, Information and Communications, Inc (ki.net)
scrappy@hub.org  |
 soon to be:     |
scrappy@ki.net   | For more information, send me email.