Date:      Wed, 02 Sep 1998 21:12:33 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Hebel, Mike" <MikeHebel@duo-fast.com>
Cc:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FW: Panasonic CD-ROM installation and no response from your tech support...

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998 16:32:29 -0500, Hebel, Mike wrote:

>Panasonic CR-562-B 2X CD-ROM on a proprietary
>Panasonic interface - (tried both an old Packard Bell [crystal] sound
>card and an actual Panasonic 8bit interface card)

Someone else may have something to say about the CD-ROM, but here's
another idea.

First, would you be interested in FreeBSD, even if it meant ignoring or
replacing the CD-ROM ??

You could, potentially, connect a modem and download FreeBSD over the
Internet.  This, of course, requires a lot of time for a 386, and is
only practical if you have unlimited Internet access (flat monthly
rate, no per hour charges, no tolls).

Another option is to buy a newer IDE or SCSI CD-ROM.

But like I said, someone else may have already worked thru your problem
and may have another solution.