Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 2009 23:50:38 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Loader reading FAT

--nextPart12330450.xHPjglksFG

Hi,
I am attempting to get create a FAT FS USB stick to install FreeBSD=20
from.

I have it working however I would like to pare back the size of the=20
syslinux memdisk it loads. Currently it has the loader, kernel &=20
sysinstall MFS which is not very small (this isn't an issue for me but=20
I find it less elegant than I'd like).

I think it should be possible to just have the loader in the syslinux=20
memdisk and then have that read the rest from the USB stick.=20

Unfortunately I can't get the loader to read a FAT partition which=20
surprises me because I think it should be able to.. I believe that=20
libstand can do it (I can see the code :) however when I list the USB=20
stick device I get an empty directory listing.

The partition is marked as type 0x0c (FAT32 LBA) and the loader sees it=20
in lsdev. The FS was made with newfs_msdos with no arguments other than=20
the device.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

=2D-=20