Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 2004 09:22:32 +0200
From:      Ville =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Skytt=E4?= <scop@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-cvsweb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: newbie question for cvsweb install on linux

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 04:31, tschus@juno.com wrote:

> o/s = bsd 5.2
> perl =  This is perl, v5.6.1 built for i386-freebsd

Hm, the subject says Linux but it's actually FreeBSD you're working
with?  CVSweb is in the FreeBSD ports collection, maybe it'd be easier
to install it that way.

> There is a file cvsweb.conf-freebsd that I cannot figure out what it
> for and what to do with it. the install directions do not mention it.

Just ignore it, it's an example configuration snippet primarily meant
for use by cvsweb.freebsd.org or a local FreeBSD CVS mirror.

> Copy cvsweb.cgi to the cgi script location of your web server.
> Did that cp cvsweb.cgi /home/apache/conf

That's most likely the configuration directory of your Apache, not the
CGI script dir.  The correct dir is usually called "cgi-bin", in your
case maybe /home/apache/cgi-bin.  Check your httpd.conf.

> for ("$mydir/cvsweb.conf", ...
>
> What would be the proper example for this line if I did a default
> install of apache 2.x at /home/apache.

$mydir is the directory where cvsweb.cgi is located.  I would suggest
putting cvsweb.conf it somewhere else though, check the other places
near "$mydir/cvsweb.conf" where it's looked from.

> My main problem right now is that I get an error when trying to run
> the cvsweb.cgi script
> http://localhost/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi
>
> Premature end of script headers: cvsweb.cgi

Any other messages in the Apache error log?  Does the user running the
web server have execute permission to cvsweb.cgi and read access to
cvsweb.conf?

> If I try to run it manually with perl it bails since -wT does not seem
> to work anymore in the newer versions of perl
>
> Too late for "-T" option at cvsweb.cgi line 1.

Do a "perl -wTc cvsweb.cgi", -T should work with CVSweb 2.0.6 and Perl
5.6.1, there are known problems with 5.8.0 and later which have been
fixed in the CVSweb beta versions.