Date:      Wed, 01 Mar 2000 21:44:24 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@ppp-207-193-186-87.kscymo.swbell.net>
To:        bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein)
Cc:        mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org, grog@lemis.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: M$ one-ups UNIX???

In reply:
> > > ----- Forwarded message from Scott Bartram <scottb@iis.com> -----

> > > ----- End forwarded message -----
> > >

> * Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org> [000301 18:14] wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 02, 2000 at 10:07:10AM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> > > Just saw this on a NetBSD list.  It looks like a good idea.  We should
> > > make sure that they don't implement it before we do.
> > >

> > :) Greg, can you nail down the year that symlinks first appeared in Unix?
>
> Urm, Is this:
>
> a) really symlinks/hardlinks or,
> b) a bit cooler... basically identifying duplicate files and merging
>    them to be COW'd if they are ever written to?
>
> 'a' is obviously not an innovation, and 'b' seems to be quite a useless
> feature which brings back memories of the hype behind compressed volumes
> in the early 90s.
>
> I'm sure there's better things a box could do with idle time than
> search for duplicate files.

this doesn't address the issue of having dupes intentionally, plus i
don't want the master copy of something modified without having a
generation-based filesystem, a la VMS.

this microsoft thing sounds like more trouble than it's worth.  chalk
one up to marketing hype over fuctionality.  sometimes it's easier to
make a direct copy of a tree or something than to use CVS or RCS, and
thus you would have untouched dupes out there depending on how far you
are along with whatever you are doing.with the mickeysoft method, you
would be changing the originals.

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or