Date:      06 Nov 1998 11:30:32 -0500
From:      Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   bad time slicing? Priorities?

I have a system running 3.0 SMP, with 2 333MHz PII's.

On this system, I am running two copies of the Bovine RSA client (rc5des)
(essentially two endless CPU bound tasks, niced down to 19)

>From top:
  PID USERNAME  PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
23593 root      105  19   832K   344K RUN    0  23.4H 98.15% 98.15% rc5des
23726 root      105  19   832K   336K CPU1   0  22.7H 97.89% 97.89% rc5des

We are not swapping, or anything else obvious.

If I run xgalaga (a game), which is being run at nice=5 for some
reason (not sure why, haven't looked into it),  It doesn't seem to be
getting enough CPU time.

Play is jerky and slow.

This isn't what I expected.  Expecially with two CPUs to play with.
The rc5des programs, should essentially not be running if higher
priority things are waiting to run, right?  Certainly with two CPUs, I
would expect that the game would get time pretty much as soon as it
was ready to run, while the other tasks would fight over what was
left.

So, do I just not understand how BSD does its scheduling?  Or is there
actually something wrong?

Thanks,

+C

--
Thinking of purchasing RAM from the Chip Merchant?
Please read this first: <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/chipmerchant.html>;

Cory Kempf                Macintosh / Unix Consulting & Software Development
ckempf@enigami.com        <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/>;