Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 2004 08:08:29 -0500
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Versions 4.10 vs. 5.2.1

--Boundary-02=_Z9C2AgfNDLeg7tK

On Tuesday 2004-06-22 01:07 am, freebsd@solisix.com wrote:

> Just a quick questions. I've been running into a few problems with 5.2.1
> not being very stable and was thinking of reverting back to 4.10.

I wouldn't necessarily think of it as reverting.  They're almost two=20
different (but similar) systems.

> I usually run the current versions from the ports collection, such as
> Gnome. I was wondering if this will be a problem? Also, what will I loose
> when I go back to 4.10. Also, is 5.2.1 faster or is 4.10 faster and
> more stable.  =20

5.x is faster in some ways and slower in others.  The answer is a resoundin=
g=20
"well, it depends...".  The big snag, though, is that 5.x is slated to=20
become the "-STABLE" version in the very near future, so there's a good=20
chance you'd find yourself "crossgrading" into a system that's about to be=
=20
end-of-lifed.
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser