Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 1997 11:16:48 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu>
To:        chas <sweeting@tm.net.my>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how can we monitor in real time ? (was Re: probing from  jrc-5-104.tm.net.my)

On Fri, 27 Jun 1997, chas wrote:

> I sent along a bit of info on this one earlier but it
> did prompt me to wonder :
>
> "how can we check for this info (and DoS attackes or
> similar) in real time rather than afterwards in log files ?
> is there any software that can be configured to monitor
> your server and shout when it is possibly coming under
> attack ?"

A simple method would be to log ipfw and tcp-wrappers (after having
wrapped all TCP services in /etc/inetd.conf) messages, then use swatch
(monitors logs using a given ruleset in real time; available as a port) to
mail/page/shout/whatever when something unusual starts happening.

[FreeBSD on a system with a soundcard and the rsynth port could make an
amusing firewall -- one could have it shout "Help me!  I'm under attack
from xxx.yyy.zzz.www!"  during a demonstration to pointy-haired managers]

More sophisticated intrusion detectors have been researched (see
http://www.cs.purdue.edu/coast/intrusion-detection/ids.html) but I didn't
notice any that were freely available and useful for FreeBSD systems.

Guy Helmer, Computer Science Graduate Student - ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
Iowa State University               http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer
Ames, Iowa, USA                                 42 01'12"N, 93 40'23"W