Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 10:32:53 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        James A Wilde <james.wilde@telia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Programmers' editor?

On Wed, Nov 24, 1999 at 02:39:01PM +0100, James A Wilde wrote:
> Two quickies:
>
> 1) Thanks to all who have helped with a) suggestions about ee, which
> I'll try, and b) hints on some other useful commands I can use in vi.
> My competence in vi has doubled overnight!

I'm a vi user.  If you really want that Windows look and feel, and you
are running X you might take a look at nedit in the ports tree.  You'll
have to install Motif or Lestif, but it was designed to be a decent
editor for Mac and Windows users.

> 2) Sorry that my messages have had no eol breaks in them.  For email
> I mostly live in the sheltered world of Windows which takes care of
> that kind of thing for you.  I will try and make sure I put in CRLF
> at appropriate places in messages to this - and other UNIX - mailing
> lists to which I subscribe.

There should be a configuration option to wrap your messages to a
specific number of characters, use it.

> And I don't really think vi is crap.  It's just that the only thing
> less intuitive in its natural state than vi is probably emacs. <ducks
> and moves out of the war zone> <grin>.

You aren't going to get any argument from me there. ;-)  Actually, if
you're going to spend much time in UNIX, you should at least have
basic proficiency with vi since it's always there and emacs may not
be.

-- Brooks

--
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not
have, nor do they deserve, either one"