Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 06:54:00 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        "Andrew Reilly" <andrew@lake.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CRON in malloc(): warning: pointer to wrong page.

I believe your problem is related to a similar problem I had with
inetd, where it complained about garbage pointers, see PR 6858.  I too
had 32MB of RAM at the time.  I noticed that the inetd problems had
started to occur just around the time that tripwire, which uses ~ 30MB
of VM, was run.  My scan rate exceeded 20,000 pages per second at times
when tripwire was run and my pageout rate averaged at 7-10 pages per
second.  There was also a high number of reclaims too.  In short I was
short of memory.  Increasing my RAM from 32MB to 80MB solved the
problem.

Having said that however, the fact that some long running processes
cannot allocate or free memory after the system has been in a severe
memory shortage condition points to a bug in VM or libc.

Whether there is a bug in VM/libc or not, you probably still have a
severe memory shortage when you run netscape.  When you run netscape,
open up an xterm and run "vmstat 5".  Track sr (scan rate), po
(pageouts), and re (reclaims).  If you notice that sr is > 200 (I'm
more comfortable with 200, however I haven't seen any adverse affects
when scan rate exceeds 300 for a while either) pages per second for a
long period of time, or you notice that sr > 5000 pages for 20 seconds
or more, or you notice that sr is obscenely high, like the 20000+ I was
experiencing, you are short of RAM.  If you notice that po is > 7-10
during these periods when sr is high, you are definitely short of RAM.

I hope this helps.

Open Systems Group          Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Province of BC