Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 18:49:19 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        lore <lore@phile.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Circumventing a full partition?

Well, in fact what I said was:

>> Output of ls /usr (reformatted to save space)
>> X11R6      bin      bind      compat      games      include
>> lib      libdata
>> libexec      local   mdec   obj              ports
>> sbin            share
>> src              tmp
>
> I don't understand this format.  Is it supposed to represent a
> hierarchy?

I was referring to your reformatting, and I didn't understand why you
did it like that.

> When I did the initial install, I read the online install help
> stuff and I'm pretty sure there was some info in there that suggested
> there was some benefits in putting /usr and /usr/local on different
> filesystems. It was probably in the part when you have the option to
> hit "?" (or similar) when you're making the filesystems.
> This was on the 3.1-Release CD installation.

Hmm.  We should probably revise that.  You can obviously now see the
disadvantage :-)

> So foolishy thinking that 2.x GB was enough to do anything I wanted
> I took up the recommendation. Oh well, we live and learn I suppose :)
> I know I should bite the bullet and say "well I cocked up and I should
> learn from my experience and install it again", but I've got most
> everything I want working, and hate the idea of starting again.

Right.  There are relatively few reasons for starting an installation
from scratch.  Even here I'd probably do a backup, a minimal install,
and a restore.

> Maybe when 3.2 goes stable I'll do it,

That'll be on Saturday :-)

> but hopefully I can work around
> the problem for the time being. For the moment, I've moved a few
> things and soft-linked them (thanks to the hand-holding of Rudi, Andy
> and yourself I got the courage) and it seems to be working OK.
>
> Although, I'm still a little perplexed. The output shown above was a
> straight cut'n'paste job, and I'm not sure how I could have been
> using 104% of that file system, with a negative number of
> blocks available.

No, that's normal.  You can get up 109%; the last 9% are reserved for
root.  Look at the total number of blocks and the number used.

> PS. I'm amazed at the work that goes into the answers in this
> mailing list.  A few weeks back, Doug W was obviously putting in a
> *lot* of time answering emails.

In fact, Doug's been pretty quiet lately.  He used to regularly answer
45 messages a day in the 90 minute slot he got at the workstation at
college, nicely sorted alphabetically.  A wonder to behold.

> And I've noticed recently several other people, including yourself
> (Greg L) putting in a lot of replies. I'm making a guess here, but
> does the FBSD group have a roster of volunteers that donate there
> time to answer "newbie-type" questions?

No, it's more conincidence.  Sometimes we're all too busy.

> If it does, I hope to get to the stage in a few months, where I have
> sufficient experience and knowledge that I can volunteer some time
> to the cause.

Lurk for a while.  When you see a question you know the answer to,
answer it.  It's easier than you think.  Just try to be right: it
doesn't help anybody if you give the wrong answer.

Greg