Date:      Fri, 05 Jun 2009 19:26:34 -0400
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@telenix.org>
To:        Guillaume Ballet <gballet@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ARMv7 - EABI - Cross Compiler

Guillaume Ballet wrote:
>> Doesn't xdev build the 4.2.1 version of gcc, like what's in the tree now?
>> That's unacceptable to me, gcc didn't bring in support for the Cortex-A8
>> processor until 4.3.0.  I was able to build a cross-gcc easily using a target of
>> "arm-linux-gnueabi", but I'm not sure if that sort of gcc will do for building
>> FreeBSD.  I'll worry about getting that gcc into the build, but will it work for
>> me on a binary basis?
>>

> I used arm-none-eabi to compile my loader for the BeagleBoard so as to
> get rid of the linux-specific stuff by default. But maybe you should
> define something like arm-freebsd-eabi in gcc's build configuration?

Always a thing of extremes for me.  I know Makefiles pretty darned well, both
the BSD and teh GNU sort, but as well as I know them, that's how BADLY I
misunderstand anything dealing with those configure scripts.  I can't even begin
to pick apart the code for those things.  Irritates me, because if I find a
problem in a makefile, I pop out an answer with the greatest of ease, but if
it's well coded so that configure reruns itself immediately if there's any
change in the makefile, then it has to run configure, and I'm basically utterly
screwed.  I like our BSD build system, not a configure script in sight!

However, now that I understand that I can use arm-none-eabi, I am pretty sure I
can do things, and the configure scripts in gcc aren't so well engineered to
force me to deal with them like that.  If I can deal with a configure script as
a shell script, I can do that, it's dealing with it as m4 macros that leaves me
cold.