Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 2004 10:54:19 -0500
From:      Vulpes Velox <kitbsdlist2@HotPOP.com>
To:        "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pick a mail client for my wife

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 07:37:54 -0700 (PDT)
"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:

> My wife has been using sylpheed for over a year. She has used
> various versions of sylpheed and sylpheed claws.
>
> She does not like it. It continually reflags her read emails as
> unread(bold again).
>
> It does not display attached images. Setting up a mailcap is not
> known to her.
>
> It is now slow to retrieve emails. (It retrieves fine but then
> redraws the top list numerous times as it indexes(?) the new
> emails.)
>
> What should she try? It needs to be a friendly, point-and-click GUI
> interface. Hopefully lightweight without needs for KDE, QT3, nor
> GNOME libraries (but maybe that is not possible).
>
> Evolution?
>
> Thunderbird?
>
> Kmail? (Maybe not enough features?)
>
> Balsa/Balsa2?

Sylpheed-claws is a possibility.

BTW is the program exiting abnormally or something? I've only seen
messages marked as new when it exits abnormally and has not had a
chance to make some changes to a file.

It can also display images and html email too, if you want. I think
this is also possible in sylpheed to. It works by a plugin.