Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 2002 09:56:19 -0800
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper@yahoo.com>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: lcc: anyone wants another C compiler?

I have no opinion on devel/lcc . . . :)

However, it is interesting to note:

1) OpenWatcom's binary patch 11.0c was released 24 December 2002;
2) After downloading it for my OS/2 system, I discovered that WLINK and
associated tools are now ELF enabled and now default to DWARF debugging
format instead of WATCOM's proprietary format;

Since the sources have evolved from a respected commercial compiler with
a reputation for code quality, this looks like an interesting project.
I think it would involve:

1) making the compiler itself truly turnout ELF objects (don't know how
well it does that now);
2) convert the build to ELF native;
3) merge the libc's;
4) build compatibility stub programs to call the OpenWatcom utilities
with *NIX switches;
5) release the result as a port;

jmc