Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 22:13:26 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>, "'Joe Abley'" <jabley@clear.co.nz>, Joe McGuckin <joe@monk.via.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPS receivers for xntpd (off-topic)

Matthew Dillon wrote:

> : [ gps talk ]
> :...
>
>     I've been very impressed with the newer ( last 5 months ) Garmin
>     handhelds.  The older ones only had 8 channel receivers.  The newer
>     ones have 12 channel receivers sensitive enough that the units often
>     work indoors.

My GPS-II was one of the first 12-channel receivers, and works just
fine inside my house (lumber, brick, stucco) and my boat (fiberglass,
metal mast and rigging), but not inside work (steel-frame 7 story
monster) or my truck, unless I slide it up on the dash so it's not
under the roof.  I haven't tried duct-taping it in the sun roof on
the Land Cruiser yet, but might do so this weekend.  ;^)