Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 19:42:50 -0500
From:      Rick Morel <rmorel@morelr.com>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FTP Problem Solved!

Thanks to everyone who replied. Here's what I found and did, kind of piecing
together everything from several sources.

Add to file "ftpaccess" (in /usr/local/etc/)

        guestgroup      ftp

Create a group "ftp" and add the users to that group. The entry in "group"
(in /etc/) would look like:

        ftp:*:1001:user1,user2,user3,user4

(I'm just showing the user name(s) as "user1", "user2", etc.)

Do a "chsh" on each user, changing the Home Directory entry like so:

        Home directory: /usr/home/user1/./

The entry in the passwd file now looks like:

        user1:*:1022:1000:Joe Blow:/usr/home/user1/./:/bin/sh

The "/./" after the user name means wu-ftp will "chroot /usr/home/user1"

And now, the final thing that made it all work......

Be _SURE_ to make a "bin" directory under the user's home, and put "ls" in
it. This, thanks to Susie Ward <sward@voltage.net>. NOWHERE could I find
this in the man pages or FAQ's, which I really, honestly did check before
asking originally.

Again, thanks to all. I hope this little "cookbook" email helps others.

In answer to "Why would anyone want an FTP that only let regular users into
their own home directory?" Surely if this list is for ISPs, everyone would
know the answer! Or am I wrong in thinking ISP here stands for "Internet
Service Provider"? Boy, will I feel like a dufus if I've misread ISP!!!!!!!

Assuming I'm not a dufus, get into the ISP business for a year or so and I
absolutely guarantee you'll know. You'll find things like your Majordomo
config files, complete with passwords posted on some web page and/or someone
else adminstering your lists. Anything that can be seen and read can be used
by some folks. It's a shame, it's not the "old 'net", but it is a fact.

Rick Morel