Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2012 08:42:47 +0100
From:      Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:        Barbara La Scala <bfls@netspace.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Off-Topic: Computing for the Blind

On 03/25/12 23:33, Barbara La Scala wrote:
> Apologies for the off topic posting but my stepfather is blind and he wants my advice
> about how to get online. I have no idea where to start looking for information on hardware
> and/or software for him. However, I vaguely remember someone on this list saying they
> were visually impaired. If I'm remembering correctly, I'd really appreciate it if that person
> would get in touch with me.

This link might help. It's the RNIB page on using technology when blind
or partially sighted. The link to the beginner's guides is where you
should start.

http://www.rnib.org.uk/livingwithsightloss/computersphones/Pages/computers_mobile_phones.aspx

However, as Polytropon said in his mail, there are far too many web
pages with no real accessibility for anyone with less than perfect
faculties, in spite of the fact it's a legal requirement in many
countries. A friend of mine is an accessibility consultant and has
regular rants about this.