Date:      Mon, 07 Aug 1995 12:34:03 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Pete Carah <pete@puffin.pelican.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: workaround for talk's address problem

>In article <405f3m$l4h$1@haywire.DIALix.COM> you write:
>>j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch) writes:
>>>talk(1) has problems with multi-homed hosts.  To negotiate the
>>>connection with the remote peer, it uses the first address as returned
>>>by a call to gethostbyname().  This will cause the connection to hang

>This problem is more general than it looks; kadmind and kerberos daemon
>both don't do listens on other interfaces than the first one.

>From our kerberos server with a netstat -a -n:

tcp        0      0  *.751                  *.*                    LISTEN
udp        0      0  *.750                  *.*

Both kerberos and kadmind (as of my fix a few days ago) listen on all
interfaces.

>I don't know about other udp daemons.  The suggested fix about using
>the routing socket would work for these two since they run as root,
>but that isn't super general.

You don't need to use the routing sockett for either of them.

Justin T. Gibbs
  Software Developer - Walnut Creek CDROM
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations