Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 11:27:31 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Troy Arie Cobb <tcobb@staff.circle.net>
Cc:        "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Java in base release as of 4.5?

> According to information at http://www.freebsd.org/java, the JDK and JRE are
> going to be a part of the base release in v. 4.5.  I'm tracking the release
> candidates and can't find it.  Is it in there, or has that change been
> pushed off until a bit later?

Sun haven't given us access to the TCK bits, so that we can do a legal
verification that the JDK/JRE is fully compliant.

Once access is granted, the tests need to be run, the setup needs to be
packaged to follow the Sun license, and then (and only) then can the
binary release be made public.

Because of the delay in getting access to the TCK, it is unlikely that
Java will be part of the official 4.5 release.

Nate