Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2006 12:31:55 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <freebsd@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: geom - help ...

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 22:37:19 -0300 (ADT)
"Marc G. Fournier" <freebsd@hub.org> wrote:

> 'k, I'm used to vinum from back in 4.x days, but now running 6.x, am
> looking at using geom ... and am not sure exactly what I can do ...
>
> Pointers to tutorials always appreciated ...
>
> Basically, I have 5x72G drives ... I'd *love* to do RAID5 with them, but
> that doesn't appear to be available right now, so, figure I'll go with a
> RAID0+1 with hotspare configuration, if possible ... ?
>
> Now, trying to parse the geom man page(s), I'm not sure if the hotspare
> option is even ... an option ... if it is, please point me to where I
> should be looking for this ...
>
> So, again, if I'm reading through things correctly, I'll have to do
> something like:
>
> gstripe st1 da1 da2
> gstripe st2 da3 da4
> gmirror drive st1 st2
> newfs drive
>
> is this correct, or am I *totally* missing something here?

Can you boot off a stripped set ? You can from a mirror (but make sure you have
geom_mirror available at boot time... i've got it built into the kenrel..and
loader.conf just in case I somehow manage to boot generic .... )

Other than that, it looks ok to me.

you may want to read
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2006-January/021638.html

best,
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"So limp of brain that for them to conceive an idea is to risk a haemorrhage.
So limp of body that their purple dresses appear no more a dixative of housing
nerves and sinews than when they hang suspended from their hooks" Mervin Peake,
"Gormenghast", chap. 2, on the Earl's twin sisters

Warned.