Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 1995 22:59:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Keith Mitchell <kmitch@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Problems with current (IDE/pdksh port)

I recently upgraded to the 04/12 snapshot and to the current for the
kernel.  I am having several problems.  The first prblem involves my IDE
harddrive/controller.  After the controller is probed (right before it
actuall prints that it probes the device, the hard drive light comes on
and it will not go off.  This happens with the stock GENERIC kernel as
well as my customizewd kernel.  The drive appears to work normally
however.

Another problem I am havin is when trying to compile the pdksh port.  It
gets as far as the configure script, and when it gets to the part when it
scans for a "working mmap" it locks up the system so tight I have to
press the little button on the front of the case.

I have also shutdown the system a couple of times and the system freezes
while it appears to be syncing the disks.

I don't know if this is related to anything or not, but just about every
other  time I reboot and start xdm, xconsole reports that it could not
open /dev/console.

--
Keith Mitchell            |      The real danger is not that computers will
Chesapeake/Blacksburg VA  |      begin to think like men, but that men will