Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 1998 20:21:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andriss <andriss@argate.com>
To:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin, sbin, another bin...

>	Read 'man hier' it will answer a lot of your questions. :)  Part of the
>logic is that if you give users access to certain filesystems (say, on
>/usr) and they hose them up, the sysadmin can use the tools in /bin and
>/sbin to repair the damage because users have no write access to those
>areas, therefore they cannot muck them up. :)
>
>Welcome to unix,

Thank you

>Doug (which is not an acronym BTW, so unix or Unix is correct, UNIX is
>not)

Hey Doug,

Remember that bell labs license plate pic? the uh.. greenish one?
Well, sure as I don't know what, it said UNIX on it ;-)

The question at hand:

Who was the original `inventor' and what flavour was it?
Also, when did it split onto System V, BSD and all the
other numerous unixes?

I hope this belongs to this list :-)
(sorry if not)

Later,