Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 1997 23:08:49 -0700
From:      Pius Fischer <pius@ienet.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xquake: runs or not?

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, hasty@rah.star-gate.com wrote:
> This is a  pointer to a linux quake page:
> http://threewave.planetquake.com/linux/

Great page! Thanks very much! I downloaded i386-ELF-xquake-1.06.gz and
id1.tgz from their download section, gunzip'ed and installed them, and
now I can run Quake.

I no longer get the message "Error: You must have the registered version to
use modified games". This message must be due to the xquake executable that
was part of ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/unsup/intel_linux_quake101.tgz
because the id1/pak0.pak that came with id1.tgz from the threewave site was
identical to the one that can be extracted from ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/
idstuff/quake/quake106.zip. I guess the problem was that the first xquake
I tried was version 101 and that doesn't work with the 106 data files.

Thanks very much again,
Pius