Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 11:56:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Michael Rhodes <michael_rhodes@bc.sympatico.ca>
Cc:        BSD Technical Support <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Matsushita CDROM CR585-B

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Michael Rhodes wrote:

> I was re-reading the hardware notes in BSD and saw a note about
> Matsushita CDROMs not being suported by BSD (other than models CR-562
> and 563). Does this mean I can't install BSD on this system? And could
> this conflict be causing the Fatal Trap 12 error message I'm getting
> after exiting the visual kernel configuaration?

ATAPI CDs are supported.  The note refers to CD-ROMs that use the
prorietary Matsushita interface.

>     Fatal Trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>     Fault virtual address = 0xcb7b
>     Fault code = supervisor read, page not present
>     instruction pointer = 0x8:0xcb7b
>     stack pointer = 0x10:0xf05ebe58
>     frame pointer = 0x10:0xf05ebe74
>     code segmente = base 0x0, limnit 0xfffff, type 0x16
>                             = DPL 0, pres 1, def 32 1, gran 1
>     processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
>     current process = 0 ()
>     interrupt mask = net tty bio cam
>     trap number = 12
>     panic: page fault

Thanks for the full output.  There is a roving kernel bug in the boot-time
configuration.  If you need to set resources for something, do it, but
don't remove anything.  Ignore the conflicts unless it conflicts with a
device you want to use.

Doug White