Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 2020 08:41:13 -0700
From:      Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        =?UTF-8?Q?Lucas_Nali_de_Magalh=c3=a3es?= <rollingbits@gmail.com>, Chris <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>, Kristof Provost <kp@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Current <FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Plans for git

>> making quarterly reports about this for almost a years as well. We put out
>> calls for people to help with the efforts about the same time. We have
>> tried at every step of the way to be open and honest that this was going to
>> happen.
> All developer centric communications....

I would argue that quarterly reports are actually one of the few methods
of getting accurate information about the state of the project as a
non-insider.  i've been following the progress of this work via the
quarterly status reports for years now, and as someone who is merely a
freebsd operator felt like i was more or less kept up to date on this
eventuality.

honestly there has to be *some* responsibility of operators to at least
make an effort to keep up to date on the status of the various efforts
in such a large project.  and as an outsider the idea that comms can
only happen on the mailing list isn't the greatest - how am i to know
that the idea of one person on the ML carries more weight than another,
or one persons opinion is the "official" stated opinion of the core group?

-pete

--
Pete Wright
pete@nomadlogic.org