Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:02:43 -0500
From:      "Simon" <simon@optinet.com>
To:        "Artem Koutchine" <matrix@itlegion.ru>, "freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Multiprocessor system VS one processor system

While FreeBSD 4.9 can only run one process per CPU, in a multi-user
environment, you will have multiple processes running on multiple CPUs
at the same time. You can't do this with 1 CPU, even if that one CPU
is faster. Of course, an outdated dual CPU server is not a lot faster than
a 2x+ faster newer single CPU server.

FreeBSD 5.x is going to change this all, read:

http://www.lemis.com/grog/SMPng/Singapore/paper.pdf

-Simon