Date:      Sun, 21 May 2023 11:40:47 -0700
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Subject:   Re: Stray characters in command history

Here is another example, perhaps a bit clearer.

The ssh connection to the first Pi3 in the chain had dropped, so it was
re-establishing via a regular user login, then su was invoked and tip run:
To change this login announcement, see motd(5).
Want to go the directory you were just in?
Type "cd -"
bob@pelorus:~ % su
Password:
# tip ucom
Stale lock on cuaU0 PID=2487... overriding.
connected
osed by r31 www s         <<<<  This appeared spontaneously, then I hit return.
osed: Command not found.  <<<<< I didn't type anything.
bob@www:/usr/src %        <<<<< The shell prompt on the 2nd Pi3's serial console.
Clearly nothing to do with sshd, might it simply be a misdirected echo of console
output generated by a (dead or broken) tip connection? The first example looked
possibly malicious, this does not....

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska