Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 1996 15:25:06 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
To:        Matt Rosenberg <matt@server.wulaw.wustl.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2 -- COMPAQ / PCI

Matt Rosenberg writes:
 > More problems with COMPAQ and the PCI bus.  I tried installing the latest
 > version (2.2-960801SNAP) to try and solve the problem, but on the probe of
 > the PCI bus on my COMPAQ ProLiant 5000 it fails to find any of the PCI
 > devices other than the chipset and also shows the wrong amount of memory.
 >   COMPAQ ProLiant 5000
 >   Adaptec 2940UW
 >   3Com PCI EtherLink 10/100 card
 >
 > from the boot disk kernel for 2.2:
 >  avail memory = 13496320 (13180K)
 >  eisa0: <CPQ1561 (System Board)>
 >  Probing for devices on the EISA bus
 >  Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
 >  chip0 <Intel 82375EB PCI-EISA bridge> rev 21 on pci0:15:0
 >  pci0:20 Intel Corporation, device = 0x84c5, class = memory (ram) [no
 >   driver assigned]
 >  chip1 <generic PCI bridge (vendor = 8086 device = 84c4 subclass = 0)>
 >   rev 4 on pci0:25
 >  chip2 <generic PCI bridge (vendor = 8086 device = 84c4 subclass = 0)>
 >   rev 4 on pci0:26

Hmmm, two PCI bridge chips ???

Well, you left out one important detail: This appears to
be a Orion based Pentium-Pro system, and those are special :)

You will need a more recent version of the PCI code than
was compiled into the 960801-SNAP.

 > and then it goes on to the ISA devices.  My current FreeBSD system is in
 > desparate need of upgrade, and I don't want to have to migrate to another
 > flavor of UNIX.  Hints?  Suggestions?

Yes. Find a more recent boot floppy. There was an announcement
of an "unofficial" SNAP a few weeks ago, and that one should
fully support your system. (But I can't remember WHO sent that
announcement.)

If you can move over the AH2940 to some other system for the
installation, then this ought to work just fine, too. After
finishing the SNAP install, you'll have to rebuild the kernel
with more recent PCI code (/sys/pci/pci.c and pcisupport.c).
Move over the controller and boot disk to your Compaq after
installing the new kernel ...

Else, you'll need to build a boot floppy on another system you
have access to, or find somebody else to do it for you. (Sorry
I can't help with that, currently, for lack of resources ...)

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but while I try to add support
for new chip sets as soon as possible, I often don't have access
to the hardware or databooks. Orion support was only recently
added for that reason (when somebody offered to do the necessary
tests and happened to even have a databook :) ...

Regards, STefan