Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 15:15:15 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        ark@eltex.ru
Cc:        opsys@open-systems.net, mm@i.cz, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: examples rules ipfw

On Fri, Jan 15, 1999 at 02:48:34PM +0300, ark@eltex.ru wrote:
> Look at the code. See the way it works. Take a look at ipfilter,
> after all. Can you tell that again?

The code in libalias was written as a pragmatic solution for a specific
need.  The proxies here just check for some items at the beginning of
packets, instead of parsing the entire stream, and this is a disgusting hack
- but it gives a pretty large speed advantage, and I've _never_ seen or
heard of these breaking down.  Given that my e-mail address is listed in all
the man-pages, I hope I would get some e-mail if it didn't work :-)

There are of course a lot of things I'd like to do with libalias, and making
the proxies conformant is one of these - but this will require both
re-writing of most of the proxies, and significant changes to the libalias
API, and it isn't really something that is high on my priority-list.

Eivind.