Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:58:55 -0400
From:      James Howard <howardjp@well.com>
To:        Robert Drehmel <robert@ferrari-electronic.de>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, robert@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: changing 'struct utmp'

On Friday, June 28, 2002, at 02:35 , Robert Drehmel wrote:

> If people want a more sophisticated solution, I could also
> create a database format using the 'struct uxtmp' like Garrance
> and Mike suggested, but with dynamicly sized members, and the
> possibility to include only specific members in the structure.
> To access members in such a structure functions like
>   void *utmpx_get_member(struct utmpx *, int which);
> could be provided.
>
> That format would be used for /var/run/utmp, /var/log/wtmp and
> /var/log/lastlog.  It could be made configurable which members
> to include in 'struct xutmp's stored in the last two.  Imagine
> an administrator wanting to log only remote network addresses,
> another one needs resolved complete host names - so why waste
> space for both?

If this is being messed with, it would be great to see full support
for System V utmp records, along with the assorted things they
throw in.

And if you do not mind breaking a lot of code, you could convert it
all to using a Berkeley-style database.  Or even better, PostgreSQL.

I gonna get smacked, aren't I?

Jamie