Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:30:12 GMT
From:      David Landgren <david@landgren.net>
To:        freebsd-ports-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/139599: sysutils/p5-BSD-Sysctl can not handle QUAD integer.

The following reply was made to PR ports/139599; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Landgren <david@landgren.net>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 16:30:56 +0200

 Edwin Groothuis wrote:
 > Maintainer of sysutils/p5-BSD-Sysctl,
 >
 > Please note that PR ports/139599 has just been submitted.
 >
 > If it contains a patch for an upgrade, an enhancement or a bug fix
 > you agree on, reply to this email stating that you approve the patch
 > and a committer will take care of it.
 >
 > The full text of the PR can be found at:
 >     http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/139599

 Dear Edwin,

 I do not approve of this patch.

 Executive summary: the port should be updated to 0.10, which renders
 this patch superfluous.

 The desired functionality is present in the 0.10 release available on
 CPAN (of which I am the author), and it also handles unsigned quads,
 something this patch doesn't do.

 Furthermore, a patch was sent to me to handle large sysctl return values
 (e.g. some of the oids that return large XML documents), which was why
 0.09 was released.

 Subsequent testing by me revealed that said patch caused core dumps on
 6.x. This  was corrected in 0.10.

 Regards,
 David Landgren