Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 09:57:10 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world time???/

Hi,

I was just trying to find out about the scalability of doing make
worlds .

A couple of us are suspecting problems with the system:
fast SMP systems VS. fast Uniprocessor systems with fast disk drives.
Simon Shapiro first alluded to a problem and I wanted an independent
confirmation .

As for a benchmark or standard way of reporting "make world" it is a
a good idea -- to track the system performance or code bloat in the
standard distribution.

We need a short readme file or FAQ entry:
kernel configuration , in the case of scsi it is important to have
the following options:
options AHC_TAGENABLE
options AHC_SCBPAGING_ENABLE
options AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO

If we have any options to enable dma on fast ide drives it should included
as a suggestion on how to speed up ide drives.

The partition(s) should be mounted async, noatime:
mount -u -o async,noatime /obj
mount -u -o async,noatime /usr

Yes, there is a danger in setting up /usr async

do a make clean -- to eliminate the variable of some cleaning an
empty /obj vs a populated /obj

Include the output of dmesg

/etc/make.conf options:
CFLAGS= -O  -pipe
NOPROFILE=      true

I never use the profiled libraries and it seems to me that this should be
the default given that most users would probably not know how to use them
anyhow.

Since most of us prefer the above CFLAGS options it should be default or
does anyone have any objects as to why "-O -pipe" should not be the default.

Next, we should have a web page where people can post their benchmarks.
This will help newbies to determine the best configurations at least
with respect to a build machine.

	Amancio