Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 06:18:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   SiS 5591 ATA controller and latest -current

I rebuilt my kernel on Tuesday or thereabouts with the new ata
controller.  It worked perfectly with my SiS 5591.  But, with the latest
cvsup, now the boot hangs and the hard drive is on solid when it gets to
the part mounting root on /dev/ad0s1a.  Also, my UDMA/33 drive gets probed
as a regular DMA drive before the hang occurs.

I had to boot into kernel.old, which had a slightly older (3 days
old) version of the ata driver.  Here's the output of dmesg with
kernel.old:

ad0: <FUJITSU MPB3032ATU/2009> ATA-3 disk at ata0 as master
ad0: 3093MB (6335280 sectors), 6704 cyls, 15 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
ad0: 16 secs/int, 1 depth queue, UDMA33

Now, here's the output I get before my machine hangs:

ad0: <FUJITSU MPB3032ATU/2009> ATA-3 disk at ata0 as master
ad0: 3093MB (6335280 sectors), 6704 cyls, 15 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
ad0: 16 secs/int, 1 depth queue, DMA

I used identical kernel config files, and I had these options enabled:

options         ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering
options         ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA    #Enable DMA on ATAPI devices

Well, this was the same config file that gave me the correct UDMA33 probe
previously.

- Donn