Date:      09 Dec 2001 04:50:47 +0500
From:      Nat Lanza <nlanza@premodern.org>
To:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>, Harald Schmalzbauer <H@Schmalzbauer.de>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSHD problems on P4

On Sat, 2001-12-08 at 18:32, Hartmann, O. wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, Chad R. Larson wrote:
>
> I receive this when doing so, and it is strange: why a protocol mismatch when
> on both ends are the same operating systems with the same codebase?

Remember that you're simply telnet-ing to the SSH port on the remote
machine, and not connecting via SSH. This means that you're not using
the SSH client software on your local machine at all. You're just
opening a raw TCP connection to the remote machine.

The SSH server expects that the client will identify itself, and gives
an error because you're simply sending a carriage return to it instead
of an SSH protocol statement.

This error is completely expected and proper, and is not related to your
other difficulties.

--nat