Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:32:37 +0100
From:      Christian Brueffer <chris@unixpages.org>
To:        Ceri Davies <ceri@FreeBSD.org>, www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Website errors

--LsnByradU3Ze6UwI

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 12:27:49PM +0000, Ceri Davies wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 12:01:46PM -0600, Sarah Berry wrote:
> > Howdy! My name is Sarah Berry, and I work for Computing & Information
> > Services at A&M. Part of my job involves maintaining our websites. In
> > looking through our server logs, I noticed the following errors
> > generated when someone tried to follow a link from your site to ours,
> > for the period of December 1-7, 2003:
> >=20
> > Target site (broken link):
> > /news/gigabytes/index.html
> >=20
> > The broken link(s) are on this page:
> > http://www.pl.freebsd.org/news/press.html=20
>=20
> All,
>=20
> This link is in the June 1999 entry, for jkh on the GigABytes Radio
> show.  As stated at
> http://itim.tamu.edu/htmlfs/changes/gigabyte092002.shtml, the content
> for this is now long deleted from the web server.
>=20
> This raises the question: what we do with broken links here?
> They're clearly no use pointing to non-existent pages, but is an entry
> in here worth having if there's nothing to link to?  I'm tempted to say
> "yes", and just remove the links on dead stories that can't be found.
>=20

What about our news archive on freefall.  Would it be possible to link
against the archived versions of the pages?  Do publishers usually allow
this, when one asks?

If this is not a viable option, I'd vote for replacing the link with a
note that the page in question is not available anymore.

- Christian

--=20
Christian Brueffer	chris@unixpages.org	brueffer@FreeBSD.org
GPG Key:	 http://people.freebsd.org/~brueffer/brueffer.key.asc
GPG Fingerprint: A5C8 2099 19FF AACA F41B  B29B 6C76 178C A0ED 982D

--LsnByradU3Ze6UwI

--LsnByradU3Ze6UwI--