Date:      Wed, 17 May 1995 14:42:10 -0500
From:      erb@msn.fullfeed.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   fatal: page fault in kernel mode

howdy all.
I have recently installed freebsd2.0 from the Walnut Creek cdrom.
While in general the install went well and I am very happy with
the system, I do have the following intermittent problem.  After
a fresh boot and using the system for 10-20 minutes,  whatever
program I am using will die with errno 11, then shortly the
entire system will croak with a message on the console only:
  Fatal: page fault in kernel mode
  15 lines of other interesting-looking stuff
  stays on screen for 15 seconds then system reboots
Programs which have caused the error include: cc1, gm4, make,
emacs and others.  After a reboot, I can re-execute the
same program and not have any problems for a while.  If the
system sits around all night without doing anything it is fine.
It seems that heavy use triggers the problem.

I was hoping that with the small amount of information above
(I am giving more details below), someone could point me
in a general direction of things I could try to do to fix
my problem.  A reference to a body of knowledge on the net
which I could search would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
erb@fullfeed.com

disk: IDE 240MB Maxtor, 64MB swap, 16MB /, all the rest in /usr
cpu: Intel 486DX50, also does it with a 486DX266
ram: 16MB
kernel: scsi+net, only mod I have made is to set ed0 to irq 10
cards in box: NE2000 clone, #9GXE64 VLB, AHA1542 scsi, generic
  VLB IDE/floppy/serial board
programs which run (not all running at time of crash): nfs, X,
  emacs-19.28 for X, gcc, xv, a bunch of my own number crunching programs