Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:19:31 -0700
From:      "Bluezmo" <bluezmo@earthlink.net>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Hmm

I've been tussling with installing & implementing FreeBSD 5 on a laptop for
about 2 weeks now.  The initial install took 4 days (which I expected given
I knew nothing about BSD) & I've whittled down the install time to
approximately 45 minutes from a DOS partition.  I reinstalled because not
all my hardware functions.

Yesterday my buddy who recommended I try BSD as an alternative to Linux came
over & we attempted the install of BSD 4.7 because it was "stable".  I had
hoped that we would be able to configure a PCMCIA ethernet card on the front
end of the install by checking the conflicts & punching in the ports & IQ's
documented by Windows (laptop, dual booted).  We tried using the FTP site
but the card didn't function.  I tried the same paradigm for the CD ROM with
the same results.

OK, rather than suffer the anticipated wrath of the BSD community by posting
to an inappropriate area, I have several questions about this experience.  I
joined the newbie group because I am a newbie & will want to ask questions.
I've read until my eyeballs are swimming with "inuxes" & am slightly
frustrated because I simply want to learn the OS rather than search
newsgroups for the appropriate forum.  When I click the link
http://www.freebsd.org/search.html , to search, a redirect shuttles me to a
message that the link doesn't function.  So, I'm posting here because my
concerns are newbie concerns.  Hopefully, someone will take the time to
comment.

1) If I don't find specific hardware listed in the hardware list, does that
mean the drivers aren't available period?  People expound on the advantages
of open source code being ultimately customizable.  In short, if the drivers
aren't available for a device, and the kernel can't be configured, what can
be done (if anything) to get the device to function?

2) Given the scenario (and post discussion with other "inux" users) it has
been suggested that I try Linux initially to get my feet wet in the "inux"
environment.  My buddy says to stick with BSD.  In the endless documentation
I've perused, mention was made of Open & Net BSD.  My perception was that
those flavors maybe better suited to my goals.  Frankly I don't know & want
to gather some feedback.

So, if someone is out there & cares to perhaps elaborate, it would be
appreciated.  I have several computers, Windows & Macintosh & want to learn
UNIX.

Thanks