Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 2003 16:01:16 +0200
From:      costin <gicabulica@edison.ro>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[3]: Which port behaves better?

Now I am really confused because I have installed the port using the
NATIVE_BOOTSRAP=yes variable but first I had to install the
linux-sun-jdk13.

Basically the port won`t compile unless I did as specified in the
BUILD file from the patch-set 7.
This is the only thing that actually worked.

Basically the native compilation didn`t work for me without the
linux-jdk13(I used the one from sun as it was not specify which one).

I got the following error:

ERROR: Your BOOTDIR environment variable does not point
       to a valid Java 2 SDK for bootstrapping this build.
       A Java 2 SDK 1.3.1 build must be bootstrapped against any
       1.3 build. Please update your ALT_BOOTDIR setting, or
       just unset it, and start your build again.

So, I`ve looked in the BUILD file and I found:

############
You'll also need a working JDK 1.3 compiler to bootstrap the process.
The simplest solution on FreeBSD is to just install the linux-jdk13 port.
Note that the JDK you build is self-hosting, i.e. it can be used as the
bootstrap compiler once its been built the first time.
###########

Please be clear what is it?

I understand that in order to build the jdk you need the linux port
(which is about the same size). But after the compile you can remove
it because it isn`t use.

And to make things really confusing, how do I know which one is
running: the linux one or the native one.

I`ve also seen in the posts something like:

"the native port in interpreted mode" - this meaning what?, that is it
still running with the help of linux but is not the linux version?

Thanks!

AM> Things change really fast, but it is always a pain to get
AM> the native jdk compiled.

AM> NATIVE_BOOTSTRAP is when you try to build a jdk port without
AM> having to install linux or sun port.

AM> I would suggest start trying and solve problems and ask the list
AM> as you go.

AM> Also note that i had no success with the 1.3.1 hotspot port.

Btw, the openJIT needs the jdk11 as I found out from the
build/Makefile. Did you actually installed the jdk11 to use it?

Thanks,

--
 costin                            mailto:gicabulica@edison.ro