Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 13:35:58 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HOTMAIL.COM, JUNO.COM, etc....

spork wrote in message ID
<Pine.BSF.3.95q.970730093838.6993A-100000@super-g.inch.com>:
> The thing that confuses me about the ton of spam I get from at&t,
> earthlink, etc. is the fact that with all the resources these people have,

And why UUNet claim that they do not have enough resources to track
down the AdultSights spammer that is now (ab)using their dialins to
flood USENET with EMP. *sigh* There was enough trouble getting them
kicked off Bell Atlantic Internet Service (which actually involved
shutting down some peering sessions with BAIS to show them that they
don't belong on USENET unless they take spam seriously), and now
UUNet, people who should know better, are housing them? GRRRRRRRRRRR

If you look at http://www.news.erols.com/feedinfo/ you'll notice an
article volum of 850k yesterday. That's up 200% in under a year, and
50% in 24 hours. (It was about 600k the day before). The really sad
bit is that the actual no. of ``signal'' articles has remained about
constant. The 600k/day increase since last year is just spam and the
associated cancels. Which is likely to get worse before it gets
better, as apparently Cyberpromo have a USENET spammer which resends
the spam when it sees the last round was cancelled.

Gary