Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 95 10:05:14 EST
From:      fcawth@squid.umd.edu (Fred Cawthorne)
To:        swallace@newport.ece.uci.edu (Steven Wallace)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, davide.tome'@galactica.it, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Slip over telnet

> >> I'd like to know if its possible to run slip over telnet connection
> >> to give our user , who has telnet account on our UNIX, the SLIP
> >> connection.
> >>
> > It was not (apparently?) possible as of 2.0R, when I tried it I was not able
> > to get it to work (but I didn't put a LOT of effort into it).
> >
> I was able to hack with the 1.1.5R kernel to get pty to work with SLIP
> over telnet.  It worked okay, but then after a while it would just hang
> for several seconds and take a minute to fully recover.
>
> I would like FreeBSD 2.X to be able to do SLIP/PPP over a pty.
> I don't see anything inhibiting that possibility, do you?
> If not, lets do it!

Hmmm... I have a PPP server working over a pty on 2.0R with the PPP
patch...
I call in, telnet to my FreeBSD2.0 machine, and start pppd. (with no
options for the tty so I guess it uses /dev/tty...)
I escape the telnet control character and all is well.  There does seem
to be a delay every once in a while when I am ftp'ing large files.  When
something else is running (like an X application...) the delays go away.
(or if I type some characters in a telnet session, sending stuff to the
 server)
Perhaps a timeout is getting exceeded or something.  I am using a 28.8K
modem too, so maybe some bytes are getting lost.  I haven't really
tweaked it much, since it worked OK for telnet sessions and LBX.
I will try to mess with the timeout values and packet size type things
to see if that helps.  I thought I tried pppd over a pty on one of our
boxes that has a fairly recent snapshot on it too. (950202??)
I suppose I could use a raw telnet connection and try slip as well.

Oh, yeah, one thing that got me was that tip put the serial port in some
funny mode so that it made my modem connect with 7 bits or something.
The Annex terminal server went into some wierd mode that messed up the
password/login negotiation when telnetting out. (like the linemode
problem does, it doesn't accept the CR at the end of the login or
password)  When I did an stty </dev/cuaa01 it said 8 bits, no parity,
etc... so I don't know where the problem was.  When I did manage to get
logged in, pppd sent stuff back and forth (I saw the modem lights
blinking), but failed to successfully "do its thing".   When I used kermit,
telnetting through the terminal server was fine, and PPP worked.

Fred.