Date:      Thu, 11 May 2006 21:37:47 +0400
From:      Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
To:        Frank Laszlo <laszlof@vonostingroup.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tomcat55 port on AMD64

On Thu, 11 May 2006 13:08:19 -0400 Frank Laszlo wrote:

> You would think so, but the fact of the matter is, ARCH should be a

(In my previous email I answered to this)

> READONLY variable. It is relied upon heavily in the ports framework and
> shouldn't be changed, ever. Why we don't just use another variable name
> to do the trickery is what I am wondering.

What can you say about bsd.linux-rpm.mk? It uses a new variable
LINUX_RPM_ARCH and doesn't rewrite ARCH.

Unfortunately, linux_base-* ports can't use it (a chicken and egg
problem). That's why any linux-* port using b.l.m _and_ linux_base-fc3
shouldn't have the problem you are speaking of.

WBR
--
Boris B. Samorodov, Research Engineer
InPharmTech Co,     http://www.ipt.ru