Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 13:11:16 -0600 (CST)
From:      Theodore Hope <freebsd@iguana.internexo.co.cr>
To:        jabbott@abbotts.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freeze on probing devices

> I have a gateway 2000 G-6 200 (200mhz Pentium Pro).  It has in it
> a Seagate ST32132A IDE 2 gig hard drive, 3c509 and ATI video.  I
> have had it running BSDi for the past year but want to convert it
> to run FreeBSD 3.1.    When I run the install it seems to see
> everything just fine.  Everything seems normal but then when I get
> to "probing devices, please wait" it locks up.  I can't Alt-F2 and
> I can't Ctrl-Alt-Del.

I'm having a very similar problem.  No frills Packard Bell (Pentium 75),
IDE disk (Seagate 1GB), and a 3com 3c509 ISA.  Not even a CD or
special video.   Hangs during device probe, both with 2.2.8-stable
and 3.1-release.

It's been running BSD/OS (BSDI) for almost two years.  And I always
thought that BSDI was more finicky than FreeBSD was!

(If you make progress, pls let us know!)

  -T.