Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2000 23:12:59 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stable breakage ?

At 11:30 PM 10/28/00 -0400, Peter Radcliffe wrote:

>Already have .. twice :)
>Got some more changes the first retry, failure mode didn't change.
>No more changes second time.
>
>Tried nuking /usr/obj/usr completely, no change.
>Guess I could nuke /usr/src and start again, but it takes so long to
>start from scratch.

Why nuke and CVSup the entire tree?

If you have copy of the last release around then a slightly modified
install.sh will work.  I keep a copy locally, so this would exist in the
4.1.1-RELEASE directory:

#!/bin/sh
cd src
dists="base bin contrib etc gnu include lib libexec release sbin share sys
tools ubin usbin"

echo "Extracting sources into ${DESTDIR}/usr/src..."
for i in $dists; do
     echo "  Extracting source component: $i"
     cat s${i}.?? | tar --unlink -xpzf - -C /usr/src
done

cd ../crypto
dists="crypto secure"

for i in $dists; do
     echo "  Extracting source component: $i"
     cat s${i}.?? | tar --unlink -xpzf - -C /usr/src
done

echo "Done extracting sources."
exit 0

Change the 2 "dists=" lines to what you want (mine don't have games and
kerberos 4/5 respectively).

Then all you need do is re-CVSup, which is a *lot* faster than pulling the
entire tree.  Should you do this, keep a copy of the old tree for
comparison, which will help track down why it happened in the first
place.  Generally memory errors will start corrupting the source tree.

cheers!

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve