Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 09:23:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ted Buswell <tbuswell@acadia.net>
To:        wietse@porcupine.org (Wietse Venema)
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Data point: FreeBSD 4.0 + removable SCSI support

Wietse Venema writes:
 > Without devices attached to the SlimSCSI 1460B, "camcontrol rescan 0"
 > reports success.
 >
 > With random hardware connected to the SlimSCSI 1460B, "camcontrol
 > rescan 0" reports success, and the kernel says:

You didn't say it explicitly, I assume (from the message subject) that
the limited success (with other targets or no targets attached) is
with a 4.0 kernel?

I did a quick check, and my understanding is that 3.4 is using the
driver in /sys/i386/isa which is the same as the driver in 2.2, while
4.0 and on use the driver in /sys/dev/aic  ("old" works vs. "new" doesn't).

So your original complaint about the aic driver in 4.0 is probably well
founded: it sounds to me like the aic driver is not handling garbage
from the Jaz device gracefully.

-Ted