Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 03:02:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: intel ether express pro

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, David Greenman wrote:

>    My first thought was that one or more PCI slots on some motherboards
> aren't bus master capable, but this can't be the problem above since it is
> "built in".

	Hmmm, just thought of something.  A few days ago, we upgraded a
2.2.7-RELEASE machine to 3.0-RELEASE that uses a Linksys 10/100 NIC with
the DEC 21140 chip.  The board just kept failing in 3.0-RELEASE with a
message during bootup:
de0: autosense failed: Cable problem?

	We have tried switching PCI slots and it got worst saying
interrupt 2300 - level too high.  When using kernel.old which is
2.2.7-RELEASE, the board detected fine.

        We have tried replacing the card with a Netgear card that uses the
DEC 21140A chipset and while it works for the ethernet interface, it seems
to make the autosensing go wild on the hub/switch it's connected to.  The
2.2.7-RELEASE worked fine for this one as well.

	Any ideas?

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]